Sunday 21 October 2012

An Interview with Mandy Shadforth from Oracle Fox


Jillian Tasker catches up with Mandy Shadforth from Oracle Fox.

What lead you to start your blog? 
Was it something you’d always imagined yourself doing?
Oracle Fox evolved as a form of art inspiration. As an artist I was always on the hunt for inspiring images for my art projects, which I used to squirrel away in various notebooks and computer files. I started Oracle Fox in August 2010 as a means of artistic expression. It also allowed me to share some of my interesting finds with others, at the same time making my own artistic processes more interactive.
With so many fashion bloggers around, was it hard to get your name 
out there in the beginning?
It was never a goal to get my name out there, so it was a complete surprise that Oracle Fox grew so quickly. I think if your main goal was to get your name out there it would be quite difficult as the world of blogging is all about doing what you love and sometimes there is no recognition and you have to be prepared for that.
How much time each day do you allocate to work on Oracle Fox?
Blogging has taken over my whole existence and I can spend anywhere between 8-12 hours per day preparing material (photo shoots, collaborations, images) for Oracle Fox. It is a passion of love as a lot of the time you don’t get paid for what you do.
What are some of the opportunities that you’ve been presented with as a result of being a high-profile fashion blogger?
I have been able to travel to some amazing locations around the world as a result of my collaboration involvement. I’ve been flown to Europe, Hawaii, Broome (most recently) and have an upcoming collaboration in Japan. I get to wear amazing clothes and jewellery from my favourite brands / designers, and I get to meet some pretty amazing people from all walks of life!
Is blogging your full-time job?
Blogging has become my full time job! Blogging has also opened up other work opportunities such as styling, photographic shoots, design and collaborations.
What are some of the obstacles/challenges that come with 
running a successful fashion blog?
There are many obstacles and challenges with running Oracle Fox. Work life balance is definitely one of them. I am constantly juggling travel, blog posts, collaborations, location shoots, deadlines, surfing, family life and friends. Everyone wants a piece of you. On top of this it’s a challenge getting through the hundreds of emails and comments that I receive on a daily basis. I’m certainly not complaining though, I wouldn’t change it for the world!
What sort of events have you been invited to as a result of your job?
Everything from Australian and New York fashion weeks, music festivals, store openings, PR company events, and fashion getaways in Ibiza. Unfortunately I can’t attend everything, especially based in Queensland, but I have been fortunate enough to attend some pretty amazing events. A highlight was attending the opening of the Louis Vuitton Maison store in Sydney.
What’s your vision for Oracle Fox in the future?
To continue my creative journey and see what amazing opportunities arise through doing what I love. This year I plan to work on more personal posts. My ultimate vision is to derive a sustainable income from Oracle Fox and at the same time remain true to my own personal style. I’d love to work more closely with some of my favourite Australian designers and partner with key global brands that can help me to achieve my vision for Oracle Fox.
What advice would you offer to anyone thinking about starting a fashion blog?
Remain true to yourself and blog for the right reasons! Don’t expect your blog to take off straight away; it takes time, patience and perseverance. You’re going to make mistakes but that’s ok, learn from them! Don’t expect to make money from your blog straight away, if not at all. It’s a labor of love, 

do it because you love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment